The short answer is documentation!

In a personal injury case, the injured party can recover some or all of the following types of compensations: loss of income resulting from time off work; any out-of-pocket expenses. Payments may also include impacts on future earning capacity due to the injury and time away from work for ongoing medical treatment.

As with any aspect of a personal injury case, one must prove the losses caused by the injury. If a person is a salaried employee, lost income is relatively simple to show. However, if one is self-employed, there is no pay stub or W-2 to show earnings. A self-employed individual will need to gather as much documentation as possible to show his current income and future earning capacity. For example, you can use your income tax returns, invoices or work orders, bank and accounting records, and current and future contracts together to establish median income over a certain period. They would be a good starting point for proof of future lost income. You must include evidence of any prospect of employment, especially if it’s work that you will no longer be able to perform due to your injuries.

Depending on the nature of your business and income, you may want to hire an economic expert to testify regarding the lost income damages element of your claim.

Personal injury cases are rarely straightforward. Some of the factors that may change your Injury case may be when you suffer substantial losses and long-term injuries. These factors can impact your ability to support yourself and your family. Therefore, consulting with an experienced personal injury lawyer is always invaluable. 

Please get in touch with AJ Law Practice today to discuss your case.

Leave a Reply